Re: [Chicken-users] Clojure

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Clojure
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:42:16 -0700

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM, bill<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm curious.   Has anyone in the Chicken community looked at Clojure - the
> new Lisp-like language that ties in to the  JVM?    I spent some time with
> it last week and found it not quite ready for prime time.   (I think it's
> more Java than  Lisp)
>
> It got me thinking, however.    Java is a complex abomination, but it does
> have one thing in it's favor - the JVM and the endless libraries you'll find
> there.    Whenever I tell people how great Chicken Scheme is they always

If you want real Scheme (rather than just lisp-like) you could try
Kawa.  I have not tried either one, though.

It's allegedly possible to compile Kawa with gcj.  Would be
interesting to have the best of all 3 worlds - some compiled code for
speed, plus a VM for compatibility with Java class files you might
want to re-use, plus a Scheme interpreter.  But no idea if it's
practical, not having tried it...