[Chicken-users] Re: [ANN] New egg: Object-relation mapper Pandora

From: felix
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: [ANN] New egg: Object-relation mapper Pandora
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:22:34 +0000 (UTC)

Peter Bex <Peter.Bex <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> > I admit that this use of import libraries in unorthodox, but it should
> > not be problematic unless the names of the procedures imported ad used
> > from the database driver eggs change, in which case the Pandora
> > backends have to be adapted anyway.
>
> It sounds very brittle.  Perhaps Felix can enlighten us to whether it's
> a good idea to do it like this?

Having the same information in multiple places is not that
great. On the other hand, changes in the postgresql API will
force pandora to be adapted. I would advise not to add import
libraries - these should always be autogenerated. But that's
just a suggestion.

> > Experience shows that nearly
> > every egg for CHICKEN 4 comes *without* any locally installable
> > documentation, probably because the automatic generation and/or
> > bundling with the rest of the egg doesn't work.
>
> If this is the case, that is a bug and should be reported and fixed in
> the place where the docs are supposed to be generated!

This is probably not working right. I lost the overview which
documentation is generated when and where. Henrietta does *no*
documentation generation, but there is a cronjob by Ivan that
converts eggdocs, I believe. In short: the chicken maintainers
are quite confused and badly coordinated regarding the documentation
situation.