[Chicken-users] CHICKEN on sparc64-linux

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN on sparc64-linux
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:34:35 +0200

Hello,

I just installed the CHICKEN 4.1.5 snapshot on a sparc64-linux machine
and thought I would share my experiences:

The Debian GNU / Linux I use to run the box has a mixed 32 bit and 64
bit userland on this architecture, so I tried a 64 bit build of
CHICKEN first, which is apparently the only foreseen alternative: The
build not only took ages but also produced a chicken binary that
segfaulted when compiling anything, although the csi binary seemed to
work at first glance.

I decided to try a 32 bit build instead, patched up chicken.h so that
C_SIXTY_FOUR would not be defined in the 32 bit mode of GCC on sparc64
(patch attached), set compiler and linker options to include
-mcpu=ultrasparc, disabled the apply hack, which is coded for 64 bit
mode only and recompiled. Now everything seems to run smoothly, at
least all the tests coming with the compiler distribution pass and I
installed a whole bunch of eggs without problems :-)

Ciao,
Thomas

--
All these theories, diverse as they are, have two things in common: They
explain the observed facts, and they are completely and utterly wrong.