Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in Chicken 4

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in Chicken 4
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:33:11 -0700

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 03:14:50 pm Derrell Piper wrote:
> Someone asked me what I meant by my first comment. I checked
> Salmonella and it reports the following statistics for eggs (4 on top,
> 3 on bottom):
>
> Failed 99
> Succeed 334 (76%)
> Skipped 4
> Total 437
>
> Failed 65
> Succeed 139 (67%)
> Skipped 4
> Total 208
>
> ...which seems to indicate that less than half the eggs made the
> transition from 3 to 4. I think that that's probably not a good
> thing. The plethora of eggs is one of Chicken's major strengths. I
> just wanted to point that out if you're considering changes that might
> break even more of them.

Seconded. I gave some code of mine to someone with instructions to install chicken to compile it. He said it doesn't work. Oops. Yeah, You gotta use 3.3. Ok, how do I get it. Uh, dunno. He now thinks chicken is a POS. My fault for not testing my directions but annoying none the less. I know you guys are stretched thin but please consider making going *back* to 3.3 or similar easy and obvious from the chicken home page. 4.X should be marked as experimental until 80 or 90% of the eggs work IMHO.

In other words 4.X is exciting and all but some of us are using chicken to get things done and can't afford exciting ...