use vs require (was Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in C

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: use vs require (was Re: [Chicken-users] Proposed procedure movement in Chicken 4)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:05:48 -0700

On Saturday 12 September 2009 02:13:47 pm you wrote:
> require works but probably require-library in chicken 4 is the nearest
> equivalent to "use" in chicken 3. In chicken 4, use now does
> require-library + import, and the import is causing the problem.
>
> As far as modules, as a quick fix you can probably just wrap your
> geolib source file (etc.) in (module geolib * (import scheme chicken)
> ...), so USE will operate as it did in Chicken 3.

I don't want modules. The require behaviour is what I want. I can't figure out what the difference is between require and require-library from the manual. Mind explaining? TIA

> Your setup or make file will also need to add "-j geolib" to the csc
> invocation and you will need to compile the resulting
> geolib.import.scm.
>
> However--if I'm not mistaken, tinyclos is not completely functional,
> so you may not be able to move to 4 yet.

That's good information. Thanks. Ironically object-oriented (and modules for that matter) have lost favor in my eyes and I'll not be needing them for future code. However there is that little matter of legacy :(