[Chicken-users] Re: chicken-install should use sudo -v

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: chicken-install should use sudo -v
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 01:53:15 +0400

  Hello!

John Cowan <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently when you install an egg with many dependencies using the -s
> (sudo) switch, you have to wait to enter your password until the first
> time chicken-install invokes sudo.  If, on detecting the -s switch,
> chicken-install immediately ran "sudo -v", the password would be requested
> at the top.  This variant of sudo does not run any command.
>
> Older sudo's that don't understand -v will just report an error, and no
> harm done.

No, chicken ought not to use sudo, which is non-standard and unavailable
on all non-gnu platforms, unless you install it. And there're many users
around who don't use sudo at all since PAM provides enough functionality.
I don't know about corresponding BSDauth solution, but I'm almost sure
there's one.

If you can provide plan with single authentication point and installing
all built packages at once, that would be nice. Otherwise, just don't
enforce sudo.

As for me, I don't think that giving sudo privileges to chicken-install
is good idea, since it may do too much under the hood and you're not
even warned by password prompt.

--
HE CE3OH...