[Chicken-users] Was crunch really discontinued? Is there an alternative?

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: [Chicken-users] Was crunch really discontinued? Is there an alternative?
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:21:08 -0300

Hello!

I've been looking for some Scheme implementation that is suitable
for number crunching and also supports SRFIs like 42 (eager
comprehension), 45 (laziness), 25 (multidimensional arrays),
and some others.

So, I have tested Chicken, Bigloo and Gambit. There seems to be a
necessary trade-off between number of SRFIs and number-chunching speed,
unfortunately.

I have written a program that repeatedly multiply matrices as a
very simplistic benchmark (because it is the kind of thing I'd like
to do very fast). The result was:

bigloo  0.52s
gambit  2.70s
chicken 8.70s

This is for compiled Scheme, with all possible optimizations turned
on.

The problem is that if it takes 1 hour for C code, I would then
expect at least the same for bigloo, and at least 17 times more for
Chicken -- or something close to that (it may even be a lot less,
like 10 hours, but it's still too much time, unfortunately).

So, going through the mailing list archives I learned about crunch,
which seems to be awesome, but was being discontinued as of February:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2009-02/msg00082.html
(This would be my #1 option!)

And I also found messages mentioning Pre-Scheme:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2009-02/msg00109.html

But neither of them is listed as an Egg in the eggs index here:
http://chicken.wiki.br/chicken-projects/egg-index-4.html

So, my question is -- was crunch really discontinued? What about the
Pre-Scheme extension? Or is there anything similar?

Thank you a lot!
J.