[Chicken-users] Wikipedia

From: Tony Sidaway
Subject: [Chicken-users] Wikipedia
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:21:41 +0100

The Wikipedia article on Scheme had been of rather poor quality for
some time and I always meant to do something about that.

During the past week or so I've given it a pretty severe rewrite, and
in doing so I've learned a lot about Scheme, and particularly its
history, that I didn't realise I didn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)

Note that the article is very strongly biased toward R5RS.  I think
this is in keeping with the "neutral point of view" principle, in
which subjects are covered according to their importance.  Clearly
R5RS is going to be around for a good long time and is the de facto
standard for all but a few Scheme implementations, whereas R6RS got
off to a very shaky start and hasn't yet gained widespread acceptance
among implementers;

I've started, but will need a lot more time to complete, a
comprehensive history of Scheme, starting with "prehistory", the first
block structured programming languages and the first Lisps, and
eventually coming down to the present-day language.  I have a lot of
material for this because Geral Jay Sussman and Guy L. Steele have
never hidden their pride at having produced such a gem, but it all has
to be read through and digested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Scheme_programming_language

I offer this up in the knowledge that  others on this list may find it
interesting, and of course any help in researching the history would
always be welcome.