Re: [Chicken-users] Sendfile Does Not Compile on Windows (Cygwin) with C

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Sendfile Does Not Compile on Windows (Cygwin) with Chicken 4.0
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 00:15:13 -0400

Yasuro scripsit:

> I am trying to make the Spiffy egg work on Windows (Cygwin). Spiffy uses
> Sendfile, but I have trouble installing the Sendfile egg (The complete
> log at the end of this email). Here's the error message from
> chicken-install:
> >sendfile.o:sendfile.c:(.text+0x55d7): undefined reference to `_madvise'
> Last time I tried with Chicken 3.4, I had the same problem. I could not
> fix this problem and had to give it up. Would you help me fix this
> issue, please?

madvise() is a system call used on Linux and BSD.  The Posix equivalent
is posix_madvise(), which is indeed implemented on Cygwin.  (Since it's
only advisory, it may or may not do anything there.)

The sendfile egg should be changed on all systems to use posix_madvise().

--
John Cowan    address@hidden    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion