Re: [Chicken-users] Re: new egg documentation bootstrap

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: new egg documentation bootstrap
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:57:49 +0100

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Mario Domenech Goulart
<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It's under $PREFIX/share/chicken/doc/html, where PREFIX is the path you
>>> provided to `make' when building chicken.
>>
>> Okay, all I see in there is the base Chicken documentation.  No eggs.
>
> That's embarrassing.  Now I'm really lost about the current local
> documentation status.  Sorry.  Last time I checked, it worked like the
> way I described in the previous message.  Now it seems that things have
> changed a little bit.
>
> I couldn't find any reference to `doc-from-wiki' in the chicken-core
> repo, so I supposed it's not being handled anymore.

If an egg wants to install documentation, then the "documentation"
property can be used in "install-extension", but that is the only
place where chicken-install does anything documentation-wise.
The documentation-situation is quite unsatisfactory in the moment.
Someone else has to work this out. Any volunteers?

> When retrieving eggs with the -r option to chicken-install, the html
> file is not retrieved, so it seems that this feature is missing.

There is no automatism anymore. The egg can install documentation
in the .setup script (via the mentioned property).

> I supposed it would be automatically added to the egg.  But it seems it
> is not.

No, chicken-install gets the tagged subtree from svn (directly or indirectly
via henrietta), nothing else.

> I'm Ccing Felix, so maybe he can give us some pointers.  Felix: can you
> give us some hints about the current status for eggs documentation? I
> can update the docs accordingly.

It's all a big mess.