Re: [Chicken-users] Re: new egg documentation bootstrap

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: new egg documentation bootstrap
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:19:47 -0500

Hi Felix

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:07:00 +0100 felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> It's all a big mess.
>
> A somewhat more constructive response: there should be a single documentation
> format. I personally would prefer wiki pages, but eggdoc is prefered by some
> extension-authors. One approach would be to include the .html in the egg,
> but that needs to be generated from the wiki page (in case the egg is
> documented in wiki-format), and there is no official tool for doing that
> (there is a hack in the chicken git repo, called "wiki2html", which does
> a not particularly nice but usable job for that).

How about making henrietta fetch the documentation when serving eggs?
It's not the optimal solution but it looks simple.

For example, when the user executes

  $ chicken-install spiffy

henrietta would get
http://chicken.wiki.br/eggref/<chicken-major-version>/spiffy, save its
contents to spiffy.html (maybe could be cached) then give it to
chicken-install.

Maybe it could even be done by chicken-install itself.

It'll probably slow down the egg installation process a little bit, but
it would free us from the hassle of having to care about the format
being used.  If there's something at
http://chicken.wiki.br/eggref/<chicken-major-version>/<egg-name>, this
approach should work, no matter if the docs have been generated via wiki
or via eggdoc.

Best wishes.
Mario