[Chicken-users] readline egg, MacPorts, and OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

From: Derrell Piper
Subject: [Chicken-users] readline egg, MacPorts, and OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:02:56 -0500

The readline egg does not install on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) due to a
mismatch between the readline library that ships with the base OS X
system (under /usr) and what the egg's expecting.  I suspect, but have
not verified, that OS X is shipping a much older version of readline.

Fortunately, the readline in MacPorts works with the readline egg; it's
just a matter of getting chicken-install to compile and link against
/opt/local.  To do that, I hacked readline.setup.  Here's what I did:

First, fetch a local copy of the egg:

  % chicken-install -r readline

THen apply this patch to readline/readline.setup:

  % diff readline/readline.setup readline-hack/

  22c22
  <      (and (condition-case (compile -s -o rlu-test rl-usable-test.scm libs
...)
  ---
  >      (and (condition-case (compile -s -v -I/opt/local/include
-L/opt/local/lib -o rlu-test rl-usable-test.scm libs ...)
  43c43
  < (compile -s -O2 readline.scm ,@rl-extralib)
  ---
  > (compile -s -O2 -I/opt/local/include -L -Z -L/opt/local/lib readline.scm
,@rl-extralib)
  45c45
  < (compile -c -O2 -d0 -j readline readline.scm
  ---
  > (compile -c -O2 -d0 -I/opt/local/include -j readline readline.scm
  48c48
  < (compile -s -O2 -d0 readline.import.scm)
  ---
  > (compile -s -O2 -L -Z -L/opt/local/lib -d0 readline.import.scm)

...and then install from the readline subdirectory:

  % cd readline
  % chicken-install

Though it builds and installs cleanly, saved history doesn't seem to be
working; I haven't bothered to figure out why.  For reference, the
relevant portion of my .csirc looks like this:

  (require-extension readline)
  (current-input-port (make-gnu-readline-port))
  (gnu-history-install-file-manager
    (string-append (or (getenv "HOME") ".") "/.csi.history"))

I've attempted to attach transcripts of before and after to this post,
along with the above patch.  If they don't come out, I'll add them as
follow-on replies.  I recently switched back to gnus and haven't had an
opportunity before now to try out this new-fangled MIME support...

Derrell