[Chicken-users] Installing Eggs in 4.3.0

From: David N Murray
Subject: [Chicken-users] Installing Eggs in 4.3.0
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:01:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I just installed 4.3.0 on my Vista box and got it built (at least it
looks like it's built).  I figured it might be a good idea to update the
eggs I have installed with the new csc, so I tried:

> chicken-install defstruct

It complains that it can't find chicken.h (and generates a zillion errors
because of that).

I built chicken with the command
> make PLATFORM=mingw-msys PREFIX=/tools/chicken

but, I notice that the gcc command generated is:

Error: shell command terminated with non-zero exit status 1: ""gcc"
"defstruct.c" -o "defstruct.o" -c -fno-strict-aliasing \
-DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -Os -DPIC \
-DC_SHARED -I"\\tools\\chicken\\include""

(I added the formatting)

If I try and csc -k defstruct, and then I issue the command

> gcc defstruct.c -o defstruct.o -c -fno-strict-aliasing \
-DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -Os -DPIC -DC_SHARED \
-I/tools/chicken/include

It compiles fine.

My question is, how can I get chicken to use unix path separators for gcc
even though I'm in a windows environment, since that's what it looks like
gcc wants?

I don't recall having this problem building 4.2 and installing eggs.  I
don't have any notes, so I can't remember the exact command I used to
build 4.2, but I did try building 4.3 with the commands
> make PLATFORM=mingw-msys PREFIX=\tools\chicken
and
> make PLATFORM=mingw-msys PREFIX=c:\tools\chicken
and I still had the same problem trying to install any egg.

This is MinGW 5.1.6, using gcc 3.4.5.

TIA,
Dave

p.s. I did look through the archives, and found thread almost a year old
that had a similar problem, but didn't have any resolution.

p.p.s. Poking through the csc.scm led me to try the following, which
seems to work, but I don't think it's the right answer: