[Chicken-users] pthreads with chicken

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: [Chicken-users] pthreads with chicken
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:45:57 +0100

Hi all,

today I want to share two module with you.

pthreads.scm utilizes a pool of pthreads to offload long running calls
into C to keep the chicken system responsive.  (E.g., I have some sqlite
queries, which take several seconds.  Those used to block the server (in
chicken) as all native C code does.  Not too nice when the "normal" and
expected response time is in the milli second range.)

This module is so far only tested on Linux.  I'd appreciate to hear
whether or not it works on other systems too.

sqlite3.scm is a showcase how to use the former to solve the above
mentioned problem.

This one is not yet fully tested.  Moreover it contains some references
to "vfs" code.  The plan is to call back from sqlite3's virtual file
system into chicken.  Once done, this will allow to place the actual
database into Askemos(.org) to implement a replicated database which is
reilent to byzantine failures.

have fun

/Jerry