Re: [Chicken-users] OK, I jumped the gun a little

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] OK, I jumped the gun a little
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:18:27 -0400

Hi Mark

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:59:18 +0000 (GMT) Mark Carter <address@hidden> wrote:

> In my recent report, I mentioned about not being able to bootstrap. I
> didn't read the README :( I'm supposed to obtain a bootstrapper from
> http://chicken.wiki.br/chicken-projects/bootstrap/
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't one available for cygwin. I guess it's a
> case of ... wait for it .... wait for it ... solving the chicken and
> the egg problem.

I think you can install one of the released versions
(http://chicken.wiki.br/releases) and use it as a bootstrap compiler.

Take a look at Felix's message about the removal of bootstrap files from
the git repo:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2010-03/msg00000.html

If you are interested, there are some tips about how you can contribute
(which will be much appreciated).

> Are you completely sure that autotools is not the way to go? I don't
> know much about it myself, but it is THE build system.

Chicken once used autotools and it was kind of painful to maintain.  See
ticket #167 for more info about the plans for the build system
(http://www.irp.oist.jp/trac/chicken/ticket/167).

Best wishes.
Mario