Re: [Chicken-users] static linking - how to?

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] static linking - how to?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:03:50 +0100

2010/3/25 Jörg F. Wittenberger <address@hidden>:
> [...]
> I failed miserably when trying to link a chicken program statically.
> [...]
> using -static instead I end up with an executable of roughly 4MB..
> which then complains:
> Error: (import) during expansion of (import ...) - canot import from
> undefined module: scheme
> [...]

Hello,

I've experienced the same type of problem when trying to produce a
static executable using CHICKEN 4.4.0: For some reason, the resulting
static binary in contrast to a dynamic one tries to load the import
libraries for the used extensions and library units at runtime.

I suspect that a workaround would be to also compile the import
libraries statically and link them into the executable. However I have
not investigated what causes this strange behaviour in the first
place, since I realized that using the new -deploy /
-private-repository options is a much better solution for deployment
of binaries than static linking.

Ciao,
Thomas