Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 4.5.0 on Windows?

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken 4.5.0 on Windows?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:23:45 -0300

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:42:14PM +0200, Felix wrote:
> Can you run "make ... confclean" and try again, sending me the output?

Ops. That was the problem! Cleaning the configuration first was
necessary.

So, I actually managed to generate Windows binaries in two ways:

1) Cross-compiling, up to some point:

$ make PLATFORM=linux clean
$ make PLATFORM=linux confclean
$ RC_COMPILER=i586-mingw32msvc-windres LIBRARIAN=i586-mingw32msvc-ar  make \
  PLATFORM=cross-linux-mingw CHICKEN=./chicken-boot-4.3.7-linux-x86 \
  C_COMPILER=i586-mingw32msvc-gcc-4.4.2

(I found these variables in defaults.make, so I used them. They're not
described in the README)

I'm not sure how the cross-compilation process would proceed, and how
I'd install the binaries and DLLs on the target machine.

2) Directly from Windows:

c:\> mingw32-make PLATFORM=mingw PREFIX=c:/mingw confclean
c:\> mingw32-make PLATFORM=mingw PREFIX=c:/mingw
c:\> mingw32-make PLATFORM=mingw PREFIX=c:/mingw install

The first line was not in the instructions in the wiki,
http://chicken.wiki.br/compiling-chicken-on-windows-xp-with-mingw
(I'll add it).

Then the only thing it doesn't do is to create a shortcut for csi on
the Desktop (but that's trivial).

Anyway -- is there a way to avoid having to go through all the compilation
process? Perhaps by using PREFIX=some-special-dir and then later
zipping the contents of some-special-dir, so I can unzip it in the target
machines -- would that work?

Thanks a lot!
J.