Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:10:12 +0200

> Dear Alejandro,
>
> * Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden> [100523 21:45]:
> > I have some extensions that I would like to migrate to Chicken 4.
> > Many of these depend on define-macro.  Does define-macro work in
> > Chicken 4?  What's my best option for migrating out of Chicken 3?
>
> Chicken 4 has got a hygienic macro system and thus removed define-macro.
> Depending on what you want to do your options are either define-syntax
> with syntax-rules or using the low level explicit renaming macro
> infrastructure.
>
> Which eggs are you talking about? Maybe this list can give you a
> hand in the porting process?

The one I'm concerned with the most would be the stream-parser egg, on
which stream-wiki (and hence svnwiki) depends.  I guess I'll just
rewrite it in Chicken 4.

It makes it very difficult for me to continue to trust Chicken as a
development platform when certain APIs get removed like that, with
little to no consideration to how much effort it'll take for its users
to keep their software working.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/