Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:34:03 +0200

2010/5/23 Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden>:
> [...]
> It makes it very difficult for me to continue to trust Chicken as a
> development platform when certain APIs get removed like that, with
> little to no consideration to how much effort it'll take for its users
> to keep their software working.
> [...]

Hello Alejandro,

in my humble opinion, the advantages of hygienic macros and a nice
module system were definitely worth a breaking change. In fact, these
features probably make CHICKEN code more robust and reusable for the
future.

If you don't care about hygiene, though, you can always turn old-style
unhygienic macros into bad-style unhygienic explicit renaming macros
;-)

Try something like this:

  (define-syntax define-macro
    (syntax-rules ()
      [(define-macro (id expr) body ...)
       (define-syntax id (lambda (expr id-rename id=) body ...))]
      [(define-macro id xform)
       (define-macro (id expr) (xform expr))]))

Ciao,
Thomas