[Chicken-users] Chicken-install and http_proxy

From: Stephen Eilert
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken-install and http_proxy
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:53:57 -0300

Hi guys,

It is standard for Linux to configure HTTP proxies using the http_proxy
environment variable, as I had to discover painfully at work. Graphical tools
(like Gnome's proxy settings) will even set it automatically.

The -proxy option in chicken-install is handy. However, by recognizing the env
variable, chicken-install is able to use the system proxy automatically.

So, attached is a proposed patch. Some possible improvements:

* Add support for proxy authentication. The proxy at work actually requires
this, but I have setup a local proxy to forward the requests, so that apps that
don't support it will work. Or, at least, it should complain if a
username/password combination is detected (like
http://user:address@hidden:port";).

Comments?

-- Stephen

Sent from my Emacs