[Chicken-users] Impossible constraint in asm

From: Lucas Jones
Subject: [Chicken-users] Impossible constraint in asm
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:17:02 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to compile a cross-chicken for the Wii using the latest
DevKitPro. It provides a cross-compiling gcc 4.4.3 with the host
'powerpc-eabi'. (The compiler is called 'powerpc-eabi-gcc'.)

I call make like so:  make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=$CHICKEN_PREFIX
HOSTSYSTEM=powerpc-eabi DESTDIR=$CHICKEN_PREFIX/../ppc_chicken ARCH=
install

I also modified Makefile.linux to add '-I/usr/include' to the compiler
options, as devKitPro doesn't provide all the necessary header files
(e.g. systypes.h).

It compiles alright until it reaches 'tcp.c':

powerpc-eabi-gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H
-I/usr/include -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -I. -I./ \
          -c -Os -fomit-frame-pointer \
           \
          -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN utils.c -o utils-static.o
powerpc-eabi-gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H
-I/usr/include -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -I. -I./ \
          -c -Os -fomit-frame-pointer \
           \
          -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN tcp.c -o tcp-static.o
tcp.c: In function 'f_2263':
tcp.c:176: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
make[2]: *** [tcp-static.o] Error 1

I've read that this error is sometimes caused by a change in GCC;
should I try downgrading to an older GCC?

Thanks.