Re: [Chicken-users] newbie questions about macros in modules

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] newbie questions about macros in modules
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:22:44 +0200 (CEST)

From: Imran Rafique <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:14:38 -0700

> Thanks. Now that I think about it - wow! From a newbie question, to a patch
> from the language implementor himself - all in the matter of a week.

I think it's the least I can do. I find it dizzying that instead of
just throwing up your hands ("ah, just another half-broken open source
language implementation", which is what I usually do) you submitted a
bug report and helped fixing this problem. Thank you.

> I applied the patch against vanilla 4.5.0, and it works perfectly. If anyone
> is using chicken-4.5.0 on gentoo, attached is a slightly modified ebuild
> which uses Felix's patch.
>
> The attached tarball contains everything you need to put into your local
> overlay, to install a patched chicken-4.5.0. So for any gentoo users who
> want this, just:
> - unpack into your local overlay
> - run: ebuild chicken-4.5.0-r100.ebuild manifest
> - the ebuild is labelled as an "unstable" package, meaning that you need to
> either have your global KEYWORDS (/etc/make.conf) set to "~<your_arch>", or
> add "dev-scheme/chicken" to /etc/package/keywords
> - emerge it
>
> Felix - do you want this sent downstream to the gentoo devs for
> incorporation into their portage tree? Not sure if you wanted patches like
> these rolled into standard distribution releases (in case you haven't tested
> side-effects of the patch, and don't want the maintainence hassle if it
> breaks other things for 4.5.0 users), so I haven't open a gentoo bug for
> this new patch yet.

I have done some testing, at it appears that the patch works ok. If
you want to send it downstream, sure, but we have to make a new
release anyway, since quite a lot has been done. So, if this has a bit
of time, I would wait until 4.5.7 or 4.6.0 is ready. I don't know how
up-to-date gentoo packages should usually be.