Re: [Chicken-users] newbie questions about macros in modules

From: Imran Rafique
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] newbie questions about macros in modules
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:32:02 -0700

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Felix <address@hidden> wrote:

I have done some testing, at it appears that the patch works ok. If
you want to send it downstream, sure, but we have to make a new
release anyway, since quite a lot has been done. So, if this has a bit
of time, I would wait until 4.5.7 or 4.6.0 is ready. I don't know how
up-to-date gentoo packages should usually be.

With gentoo, the amount of time it takes to get new patches or ebuilds added varies greatly across the tree (basically, how much time the official maintainer of that package has). Which is one of the big reasons we have gentoo "overlays" (non-official trees which are overlaid on the official one).

In any case, it wouldn't be a good idea (I think) to submit an updated package there without a small version bump in chicken (eg: 4.5.0 to 4.5.1). No matter how trivial the issue, you never want a situation where you have different v4.5.0's out there in the wild. It would drive you crazy when it comes to bug reports ("so, what the date of your 4.5.0 install?")

If a new chicken version is in the works, I would just leave it as is. I'll be sure to submit an updated gentoo package to the gentoo maintainers as soon as the next chicken release is made.

Regards,
             Imran Rafique