Re: [Chicken-users] current-time on 32-bit hardware

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] current-time on 32-bit hardware
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:37:05 +0900

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Felix
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I propose to use flonums for timeout values. This makes the
> representation of srfi-18 "time" values simpler and removes any
> possibility of overflow. I don't think the performance impact is all
> that heavy.

Okay, thank you. One thing that still bothers me is the use of
gettimeofday inside the scheduler. I'm not sure everything will work
nicely if an NTP server (or root) sets the date to something in the
past. And then comes the problem of having a _portable_ way to
represent monotonic time...

> If you are adventurous, you can try out the "flonum-milliseconds"
> branch in the git repository, where I made all the necessary changes
> (quite a lot, in fact). Feedback would be great, since I don't have
> decent testing code for multithreading.

Thank you, I'll try it.

> Something will break, that's for sure, but I see no way around it.

Well, it's an experimental branch, after all ;-)

--
Nicolas