Re: [Chicken-users] Disable garbage collection

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Disable garbage collection
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:54:32 -0400

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Felix
<address@hidden> wrote:

> No, disabling GC would disable procedure calls (since continuation-frames
> are heap-allocated). You can reduce "major" GCs (which usually take longest)
> by either using a large initial heap (for example by using the "-:h..."
> runtime parameter) and trying to avoid consing much, but GC is intertwined
> with procedure call and -return in the execution scheme used by CHICKEN.

I suppose you could have a startup option which disables major GCs and
allocates one big space, and then kills the program while it runs out.
 But perhaps the question is aimed at disabling GC in a given dynamic
scope, so as to be sure that pointers retained internally by C code
still work.  This would have to be preceded by a minor GC, of course.