Re: [Chicken-users] Support for Microsoft Visual C++ compiler

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Support for Microsoft Visual C++ compiler
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:23:01 +0200

On 9 August 2010 05:58, Semih Cemiloglu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> I take this as you didn't refuse MSVC in principle. It was build/link
> problems which caused the situation.
> Hopefully, once my knowledge about Chicken's internals increase, I will do
> something about it.
>
> As far as I know, there is no Scheme system that can interact with MS' .NET
> platform except this one:
> http://ironscheme.codeplex.com/
> Maybe Chicken will extend its reach to this realm.
>
> Can "Makefile.msvc" from 3.4.0 be used as a starting point for 4.5.X?

One of the problems you'll face - and one the reasons maintaining that
file was such a pain - is the tool shadowing.

If your msvc makefile requires GNU tools from GnuWin32, they're
probably going to come from a /bin with all of sorts (possibly all)
GnuWin32 project binaries, some of which will shadow the MSVC tools
(link, for example). Make can be called with full path, but if you use
any other gnu tools (eg, sed) you're going to face many spurious bug
reports.

Cheers,
Leo