Re: [Chicken-users] Re: [Chicken-hackers] Suggestion for the ports unit:

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: [Chicken-hackers] Suggestion for the ports unit: port-pipe
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:19:40 +0200

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 11:08:41AM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> In my experience, there are several developers who just download a
> binary build (MAMP or XAMPP, for example) and think that distro *is*
> "PHP".  They don't even know that it's configurable and that using
> feature X requires one to go through additional steps on a Unix
> platform, like installing extra libraries, configuring them etc.

Not to mention the fact that different package maintainers have different
ideas of what options should be enabled for a "default binary package".

People writing code for Chicken on, say, Ubuntu will simply assume all
the features are enabled, while people writing code on, say, Redhat will
have to recompile their Chicken from source if they want to run the
programs the Ubuntu folks wrote.... if they ever understand that that's
what's needed - since the Ubuntu folks might not even think to mention
that those options must be enabled.

Cheers,
Peter
--