Re: [Chicken-users] new egg server at call-cc.org

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] new egg server at call-cc.org
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:26:10 +0100

On 08/11/10 00:06, Felix wrote:

The `chicken-install' program usually downloads from two different
servers of which one is currently unavailable (galinha.ucpel.tche.br),
so it may happen that the attempt to retrieve the extension times out,
if the remaining egg server (chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk) is under
heavy load.

As the main cause of heavy load on that server was the chicken update
cron job, I've taken steps to do that with svnsync now (and even written
a tutorial on how to do it yourself for a nice local mirror:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/running-an-egg-mirror )

Hopefully this will make chicken.kitten-tech more reliable in future...
but more interestingly, maybe it will also make it easier for more
people to run public mirrors so we can have more fallbacks ;-)

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/