Re: [Chicken-users] 4.6.1 performance boost

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 4.6.1 performance boost
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:50:49 -0400 (EDT)

From: Mario Domenech Goulart <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-users] 4.6.1 performance boost
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:17:20 -0400

> Hi
>
> I don't know what kind of magic Felix is doing, but for a very quick,
> simple and limited benchmark I can see a BIG performance improvement
> when comparing 4.5.0 and 4.6.1.

There has been an improvement to the garbage collector, which is likely
to have caused this: the function that marks each live value performs
a test for immediate data (which doesn't have to be marked). This
test has been manually inlined and that improves GC speed considerably
under heavy load. So, no magic involved...