Re: [Chicken-users] Error compiling on AMD64 linux machine

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error compiling on AMD64 linux machine
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 00:59:39 +0200 (CEST)

From: Richard Hollos <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:24:16 -0600

> Problem solved!
>
> We noticed that after doing a "make" the library files that started as .scm in
> /usr/local/src/ did not have corresponding .so files and so never appeared
> after "make...install" in /usr/local/lib/chicken/5/
>
> We concluded that we needed a bootstrap compiler. It wasn't clear from reading
> the README that I needed one. I got the impression that it was only needed
> when compiling a development version.
>
> So we downloaded this old compiler binary, as the README file suggests when
> needing a bootstrapper:
> http://code.call-cc.org/bootstrap/chicken-boot-4.3.7-linux-x86.bz2
>
> Ran bunzip2 on it, then in /usr/local/src/chicken-4.6.0/ did the following:
> make PLATFORM=linux CHICKEN=./chicken-boot-4.3.7-linux-x86 boot-chicken
>
> This made the executable chicken-boot in /usr/local/src
> then did:
> make PLATFORM=linux CHICKEN=./chicken-boot
>
> Now installed with the command:
> make PLATFORM=linux CHICKEN=./chicken-boot install
>
> There were no errors, and
> LD_DEBUG=libs /usr/local/bin/chicken-install -update-db -:d
> also showed no errors.
>
> It was the old chicken and egg problem, you can't get the first chicken
> without an egg or another chicken. I guess this is why the chicken crossed the
> road: to get chicken-boot.
>
> Thank you very much Felix for your help.

Well, I didn't do much to help you here!

Is the executable passed to `make' ("CHICKEN=...") invoked during the
build-process? Could you show me the commands that get executed, or
even better, a build log?  (this will probably need a rebuild to
reproduce this problem, and if it's a hassle, nevermind, but I really
would like to find out what's going on here).