Re: [Chicken-users] Survey results

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Survey results
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:05:36 -0600

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:48:22PM +0200, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Dear Chicken Fans!
>
> Thank you very much for all your replies during the last week(s).
> I have updated the portability page accordingly. If you miss your
> operating system in there or are running a newer version or what
> not please don't be afraid to change it. It's a wiki and you don't
> need to authenticate to change it.
>
> The url is http://wiki.call-cc.org/portability
>
> I have received a total of 30 reported chicken installs in use:
>
> | # Users | Operating System |
> |---------+------------------|
> |       1 | FreeBSD          |
> |       1 | Haiku            |
> |      13 | Linux            |
> |       6 | Mac OS X         |
> |       1 | NetBSD           |
> |       4 | OpenBSD          |
> |       2 | Windows/mingw    |
> |       2 | Windows/cygwin   |
>
> | # Users | Architecture |
> |---------+--------------|
> |       1 | MIPS         |
> |       4 | PPC          |
> |      19 | x86          |
> |       6 | x64          |
>
> | # Users | Chicken Version |
> |---------+-----------------|
> |       3 |           4.6.3 |
> |       5 |           4.6.2 |
> |       1 |           4.6.1 |
> |      14 |           4.6.0 |
> |       1 |           4.5.7 |
> |       5 |           4.5.0 |
> |       1 |           4.2.0 |
>
> Now let's hear some speculations on what this all means. I would
> also love to hear from some peculiar hardware you are running chicken
> on. I know some of you do.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Christian

I'm personally surprised to see 10% of users running OpenBSD, with
*BSD combined coming in at 30% of usage.  I would have guessed that
number to be lower. We have some critical users, namely our single
MIPS person and the lone FreeBSD, Haiku, and NetBSD people.

The cross product of the operating system and cpu architecture usage
suggests we don't really test enough combinations of os and cpu.
It's too bad there isn't any ARM platform use.

Have any of you other OpenBSD users patched your linker to avoid
spurious warnings of strcat, &c when you link chicken?

-Alan
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi