Re: [Chicken-users] upgrading to 4.6.0 in Arch

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] upgrading to 4.6.0 in Arch
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 04:09:04 -0500 (EST)

From: Hugo Arregui <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-users] upgrading to 4.6.0 in Arch
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:14:10 -0300

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a few doubts after the upgrade:
>
> - Which is the right procedure to upgrade eggs?

There is no standard procedure for this. Just upgrade eggs as you need
them, keep the old ones in case they are working or simply uninstall
and reinstall everything you need.  Automatic upgrading has turned out
to be too fragile and complex and fresh installation usually works
smoothly enough.

> The new chicken version is still pointing to /usr/lib/chicken/5.

Yes, it should be binary compatible - the "5" indicates the "binary
version" and has no relation to the chicken version number.

> I try to export the CHICKEN_REPOSITORY var to a new
> /usr/lib/chicken/6/, but the chicken-install script seems to ignore
> this.

CHICKEN_REPOSITORY is to be used at runtime, it has no influence
on `chicken-install', use the "-p" option or override CHICKEN_PREFIX.

> - Also, there's a way to reinstall all eggs in a single command or
> something like that?

No, sorry.