Re: [Chicken-users] Other Cheney-MTA systems?

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Other Cheney-MTA systems?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:26:42 +0100 (CET)

From: Peter Bex <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:29:38 +0100

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 07:23:41PM -0500, John Tobey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Anyone know of an active project or system other than Chicken that uses the
>> machine's stack in a similar way?
>
> At T-DOSE someone mentioned that REBOL uses this technique.
> I was able to find this reference http://ll1.ai.mit.edu/marshall.html
> but the wikipedia page and their download page at rebol.com seems
> to indicate they're on version 2.7.7.  I'm not sure if that version
> still uses this technique and if it doesn't, why not.

I'm not completely sure, but seem to remember that using this
technique was considered a failure in REBOL, as it was too complex to
maintain.  This is understandable, since coding an interpreter in this
style is awkward (to say the least). But having a compiler generate
such code is a different thing and not much worse than what other
compilers generate.

Another language implementation using this method is not known to me,
which is a pity. That may be caused because doing it this way is so
unorthodox and because CPS compilers have become unfashionable.

Another point is that, taditionally, Lisp implementors are quite
conservative ...