Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette - Issue 13

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Gazette - Issue 13
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:04:06 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2010, 19:25 +0100 schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 06:15:24PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> > > I didn't know SQLite had any replication whatsoever at all.  Or did you
> > > roll your own?
> > Well, I told you with a grin that this is a letters to the editor.  So
> > kind of a "me too".
> >
> > Yes, I did.  Using chicken.  Did you read my linked example code?
> > http://www.askemos.org/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
>
> I keep getting "connection refused" from that server, so I can't check.

That's strange.  But likely kind of hard to debug.  Because "that
server" does not really apply.  It's a network of 7 hosts, 4 of which
are in the DNS record.  (I kind o struggle how to get dynamic IP's into
the set without reducing the TTL for the majority of static IP's.)
But besides what "dig" brings up, there is also isstvan.softeyes.net, a
sheeva plug under my desk.

Does the page still hang?  If so, could you try those replicas:
http://garkin.softeyes.net/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
http://garkin1.softeyes.net/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
http://askemos2.tc-mw.de/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
http://garkin2.tc-mw.de/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
http://garkin3.tzv.de/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01
http://isstvan.softeyes.net/Adc5dd0c30f6e63932811ed60e019bb2d/Kalender?date=2010-11-01

BTW: My calendar actually uses the database.  As does the wiki on the
www.askemos.org (to store the internal references).

2nd side note: the same trick should work with many of those Axxx* URL's
I posted.  Just that some of those are not replicated to all hosts,
because I need to test that replication is done according to the rules
and not just universal.

> > Adding yet another replica is as complicated as filling the id into this
> > form (screenshot)
> > http://www.askemos.org/Ab6c588dfa4ed826d7b387f19fbc60f10
>
> Again, connection refused.
>
> > > If so, you could do that with any database!
> >
> > Maybe you could.
>
> I have no need for such a system right now :)  I just wanted to let you
> know it's unfair to cite it as an advantage of SQLite if you just hacked
> it on top since the same could be done with postgres.  Except that the
> work has already been done for sqlite, of course ;)

In a way, your are right.  I was kidding a bit about this being an
advantage of SWLite.  But as I think about it, I must conclude: it
actually is, because of the vfs interface, which made things easy.

> > > That's what SSL connections (with client certificates) are for.
> >
> > Wait, security can be even stronger.  What if replica is rooted?  Or you
> > got an admin bribed?
>
> That's not exactly a classical MitM situation, is it?  How do you deal
> with that now?

By having a replica (ready to be) owned/maintained and administrated by
each party.  (And not having any central administration).  Thus no
single person has the (technical) ability to mess with data.

I hope the site works now for you (and everyone else).  It gives more
details.  If not ping me again (privately to reduce noise here).

best regards

/Jörg