Re: [Chicken-users] Can an egg have a library and executable with the sa

From: Alan Post
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Can an egg have a library and executable with the same name?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:40:46 -0700

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 04:46:09AM -0500, Mario domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hi Alan
>
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:16:55 -0700 Alan Post <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > My egg, genturfa'i, has an executable and a library.  I've named the
> > library genturfahi and the executable genturfahi-peg.  I'd rather
> > name the executable genturfahi too, though I suspect I'm not able to
> > do that.
> >
> > Is this true?  If it isn't, can someone point me to an egg that has
> > a library and an executable named after the egg?
>
> As Peter mentioned, awful does that. You just have to be careful
> with the ids given to `install-program' and `install-extension' (they
> must be different).
>
> That was pointed by Jim.  He wrote about that in CG #9 (paragraph right
> before the "Yolklore" section):
>
> ,----[ http://gazette.call-cc.org/issues/9.html ]
> | And now a public service announcement. Egg authors, now hear this. When
> | your egg installs both library files via install-extension and also an
> | executable via install-program, you need to use different IDs for
> | each. By convention, the library files should use the name of the egg
> | (such as chicken-doc) and the executable should use this same name with
> | something appended, such as chicken-doc-cmd. This prevents the
> | uninstaller from losing track of files. Specifically, the .setup-info
> | files created by chicken-install to track extension metadata will
> | clobber each other if the IDs are identical.
> `----

Thank you, I remember seeing this now.

The problem I was having related to different builds overwritting
each other's .o files.  It seemed as if the compile code was
generating intermediate .o files with names I could not control, and
they were clashing.

Whether that was true or not, I've since moved the egg to use the
make command, and using the advice from issue #9 I got my egg
compiling with both a library and an executable.

Thank you!
--
.i ko djuno fi le do sevzi