Re: [Chicken-users] Re: sqlite3 egg patches for chicken experimental bra

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: sqlite3 egg patches for chicken experimental branch
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:42:01 -0600

On Jan 13, 2011, at 4:11, Felix <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Jim Ursetto <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:16:21 -0600

I am wondering why milliseconds->time is deprecated in the first
place.  The internal #<time> object stores times in milliseconds
itself, so to simulate milliseconds->time, we have to do a floating
point division by 1000 just to have Chicken multiply it back by 1000.
What is the justification for that?

Do you see this as a performance problem? Somehow, the milliseconds
operations appear to be redundant, since seconds is the more natural
(to me) time-unit. Probably this was a mistake.

I doubt there is any significant performance issue; it just seemed redundant to me to do the unnecessary unit conversions.  I assumed srfi-19 included milliseconds and nanoseconds->time just for this reason, so that the user could stay in the units he has and possibly gain a (small) efficiency boost.  Although perhaps arguing from srfi-19 is not helping my case.  If you want to remove it I will not cry, too much.
Jim