Re: [Chicken-users] embedding question / seg fault

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] embedding question / seg fault
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 23:53:09 +0100 (CET)

From: David Dreisigmeyer <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-users] embedding question / seg fault
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:59:55 -0500

> OS X 10.6.6 with Chicken 4.6.0
>
> Hi,
>
> I was trying our the embedding example under CHICKEN_yield here:
>
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Embedding
>
> I keep getting a seg fault and this seems to be the offending line:
>
> CHICKEN_get_error_message(buffer, 255);
>
> If I comment that out there's no seg fault.

I get a different error, but it is likely to be caused by the same
problem: the compiler "optimizes" the compiled procedure for
`CHICKEN_get_error_message' into a "leaf routine" (which uses
different calling conventions than normal procedures). I have disabled
this optimization for all external callback procedures, since the
calling convention may not change in this case. See the experimental
branch.

> I looked at this post:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg11218.html
>
> but I don't see what the resolution would be.
>
> Would it be easier to just avoid using define and stick to
> define-external?  Is there any particular reason to use define?

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you are trying to say. You
can only call procedures from outside of Scheme which are
defined with `define-external'.

> FYI, I'm trying to call Chicken commands from Python using Cython.

Interesting idea. Keep us informed about your progress, please.