Re: [Chicken-users] Big Randoms

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Big Randoms
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:50:29 +0100

* David N Murray <address@hidden> [110311 16:36]:
> On Mar 11, David N Murray scribed:
>
> > #;2> (random-integer (expt 2 32))
> > Floating point exception
> >
> > Looking at the difference between your csi announcement and mine, I notice
> > that I'm building the 64bit version.
>
> Is there something I can do to build chicken and the egg (and use gdb?) to
> get more info about the FPE?  I'm willing to do that, but I don't know
> how.

The general approach is to build and install your chicken with debug
information:

make DEBUGBUILD=1 ...
(maybe you want to choose another PREFIX for that)

Then install the egg with this new chicken and run the code.

If your ulimit is set correctly you will get a coredump (you already
know this probably).  Load the core file in gdb and show us the
output of bt 10 (or bt 15 maybe)

If we are lucky we can see something obvious. :)

Thanks for having a look!

Christian