Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time

From: Daniel Aquino
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hello World execution time
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:10:30 -0400

Did you add optimizations to the haskell build ?  I naively expected the haskell assembly to be as short as C but after some testing it was not and #haskell apparently explained to me it's haskell's runtime.  But none the less I've read posts on much more complicated programs in haskell that came blazingly close to C http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2008/06/04#fast-fusion  Perhaps it is true that the initialization overhead there really does slow it down for such a small program.

Then again the moment you add a single pipe into your bash script or try to do anything more complicated requiring multiple utilities your going to see much more latency.

Also I also wonder if everyone is using bash as their main shell and some how that may give it an advantage since it's loaded into memory ?