Re: [Chicken-users] Re: dbus:send bug

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: dbus:send bug
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:34:39 +0100

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 02:58:59PM -0300, Stephen Eilert wrote:
> > Documentation for eggs is usually manually written.  As far as I know,
> > nobody uses automatic extraction of comments from code.
>
> And that's a shame.

Why?

Almost all the "extracted" documentation I've seen is of shitty quality;
people tend to use automatic extraction of docs as an excuse not to
write proper documentation.

Also, writing documentation by hand forces one to think about writing
it in a way that it can be read from beginning to end and have it make
sense.

Having documentation on a wiki means people can add notes about and
rewrite sections they found difficult or hard to understand, thereby
increasing overall quality.

Finally, when the inline documentation *is* done really well, you end
up with a lot of documentation getting in the way when you're trying to
read the code.

Cheers,
Peter
--