[Chicken-users] Educate me please: compiling modules

From: Shaun Bruner
Subject: [Chicken-users] Educate me please: compiling modules
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:46:33 -0500

I've only recently begun to play with Chicken's module system, and am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to use csc against compiled modules. I'm hoping someone on this list can show me the error of my ways. One thing that trips me up is that what I'm trying works while using csi. Here's a small hello world example I've written to illustrate.

;; hello.scm

(declare (unit hello))  ; tried both with and without this line

(module hello
(say-hello-to)
(import scheme chicken)

(define (say-hello-to name)
(string-append "Hello, " name)))

;; main.scm

(load "hello")
(import (prefix hello h:))

(define (do-test)
(display (h:say-hello-to "you!")))

(define (main) (do-test))

and from bash:

$ csc -c hello.scm
$ csc -c main.scm

Syntax error (import): cannot import from undefined module

hello

Expansion history:

<syntax>  (##core#begin (import (prefix hello h:)))
<syntax>  (import (prefix hello h:)) <--

Error: shell command terminated with non-zero exit status 17920

I'm pretty sure the problem is me, but I've reached that point where I'm trying the same 3 or 4 things and hitting the same walls. Any help setting me straight is much appreciated.