Re: [Chicken-users] Generic RDBMS Interface [Was: Re: Creating Windows G

From: YC
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Generic RDBMS Interface [Was: Re: Creating Windows GUI App]
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:47:49 -0700

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:29:40PM -0700, YC wrote:
> URI is definitely an interesting approach.  I originally wanted to use a
> connection string like ODBC, but realized that since I am using DBI to be
> more than just for RDBMS (I have a memcached driver and a filepath driver)
> and the key/value pairs is not fixed, so it becomes a situation where the
> underlying driver will dictate the key/value pairs, so I just bypass the
> need to parse the connection string (and user's need to format such string)
> and let the underlying driver call the shot.

I don't understand; doesn't an URI have the same problem as a connection
string?  You still need to parse the individual components from it and
pass them to the driver (possibly constructing another db-specific
connection string)

Correct - I was just explaining my rationale on why I did not take such an approach.

yc

http://yinsochen.com