Re: [Chicken-users] Difficulty installing Hyde egg

From: John Magolske
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Difficulty installing Hyde egg
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 00:46:35 -0700

* Felix <address@hidden> [110404 23:36]:
> From: John Magolske <address@hidden>
> > * John Magolske <address@hidden> [110403 11:14]:
> >> I'd like to to install the Hyde egg into a location in my home
> >> directory:
> >>
> >>   % echo $CHICKEN_REPOSITORY
> >>   /home/john/.chicken/lib/chicken/5
> >>
> >>   % echo $CHICKEN_INCLUDE_PATH
> >>   /home/john/.chicken/lib/chicken/5
> >>
> >>   % chicken-install -p ~/.chicken/lib/chicken/5 hyde
> >>
> >> But the install gets stuck here:
> >>
> >>   [...]
> >>   Warning: extension `defstruct' is currently not installed
> >>   Syntax error (import): cannot import from undefined module
> >
> > Reading though this thread:
> >
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2010-04/msg00050.html
> >
> > I tried a few more things, but still can't get the egg for hyde to
> > install (see output below). Is this the correct sequence of commands?
> > Do I have CHICKEN_REPOSITORY and CHICKEN_INCLUDE_PATH set properly?
>
> When I set CHICKEN_REPOSITORY, I'm able to install everything into
> the path stored there. I'm trying this out with a very new chicken
> (4.6.6):
>
>   mkdir ~/tmp/foo
>   chicken-install -init ~/tmp/foo

This needn't be `chicken-install -init ~/tmp/foo/lib/chicken/5` ?
I guess I was thrown off by the above linked thread which stated:

    ~/chicken/lib/chicken/5
    You must also use this longer path for initialization via -init

>   export CHICKEN_REPOSITORY=/home/felix/tmp/foo
>   chicken-install hyde

This doesn't need to be `chicken-install -p /home/felix/tmp/foo hyde` ?

I tried your suggested sequence, things got stuck at the point of:

    rm -fr /var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so
    cp -r matchable.so /var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so
    cp: cannot create regular file `/var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so':
    Permission denied

Then I did:

    # chown -R john:john /var/lib/chicken/5

And now things get stuck at:

    cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/bin/scss2css': Permission denied
    Error: shell command failed with nonzero exit status 256:
    cp -r scss2css /usr/bin/scss2css

> Can you perhaps try a newer chicken version?

I'm running Debian Linux, so I guess that'd be
chicken-boot-4.6.1-linux-x86.bz2
as per http://code.call-cc.org/bootstrap/ ?

Might try that when I have more time...was hoping to be able
to stick with using the Debian package and make that work.

Thanks,

John

--
John Magolske