Re: [Chicken-users] Difficulty installing Hyde egg

From: John Magolske
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Difficulty installing Hyde egg
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:12:21 -0700

* Felix <address@hidden> [110405 09:06]:
>   [...]
> >
> > I tried your suggested sequence, things got stuck at the point of:
> >
> >     rm -fr /var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so
> >     cp -r matchable.so /var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so
> >     cp: cannot create regular file `/var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so':
> >     Permission denied
>
> Is this with CHICKEN_REPOSITORY set?

Ah, I made a mistake...in my ~/.zshrc I had:

  CHICKEN_REPOSITORY=/home/jm/.chicken

But what's needed is:

  export CHICKEN_REPOSITORY=/home/jm/.chicken

So with that fixed, I now see:

  cp -r matchable.so /home/jm/.chicken/matchable.so

rather than:

  cp -r matchable.so /var/lib/chicken/5/matchable.so

And the install proceeds up until:

  cp -r scss2css /usr/bin/scss2css
  cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/bin/scss2css': Permission denied

> Executables get not installed in the repository, but in the BINPATH,
> where "chicken", "csi", etc. are installed.   [...]
> I have no solution for the BINPATH problem. Another option would
> be to build a chicken from a recent release or snapshot tarball
> and install it in your HOME (or somewhere else, where you have
> full access rights) and use that instead.

If building chicken from source, could there be a way of doing
something like:

  SET(BINPATH /home/john/.chicken/bin)

...or some such thing?

What I'm trying to avoid is having to run chicken-install as root.

Thanks,

John

--
John Magolske