Re: [Chicken-users] FW: Scheme on Android

From: Moritz Heidkamp
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] FW: Scheme on Android
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 02:14:07 +0200

Hi Steve,

Steve Graham <address@hidden> writes:
> I wonder why Moritz hasn't answered this via the ML cause
> he did something like that in the past. Guess he is busy.

it's true, I did! Sorry for not replying yet, I marked your message
actually but didn't get around to typing up a reply until now. You can
indeed use Chicken on Android by means of the NDK. All you need is a C
library that embeds Chicken (see http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Embedding
on how to do that) which is in turn called from your main program. If
you are targeting Android >= 2.3 (IIRC, maybe >= 2.2) this can also be a
native program, however older versions do not provide access to the
Activity API so you'd need a Java wrapper and call your native library
from it. I have only used it for OpenGL ES programming so far so I don't
know whether building normal GUI activities is really feasible. A nice
alternative for GUI programming on Android is Kawa. Per Bothner has
written a howto for getting started with Kawa development for Android
(http://per.bothner.com/blog/2010/AndroidHelloScheme/). It turned out to
be too slow for OpenGL programming though.

I'll try to write up a Chicken howto for the Gazette in the near future!

HTH
Moritz