[Chicken-users] Problems with csc 4.7.0 on x86_64

From: Jim Pryor
Subject: [Chicken-users] Problems with csc 4.7.0 on x86_64
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:44:44 -0400

Hi, I've recently tried upgrading from Chicken 4.6.3 to 4.7.0.

This is the build/packaging script that has worked for me with previous
builds:

  # parallel builds are not supported..
  export MAKEFLAGS="${MAKEFLAGS/-j?/}"

  make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/usr
  make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/usr DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install

  install -D -m644 LICENSE ${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}/LICENSE

  # should be a symbolic link not a copy otherwise ldconfig will cry
  rm -f ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/libchicken.so
  ln -s /usr/lib/libchicken.so.5 ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/libchicken.so

Everything builds and installs fine, and I've encountered no problems
yet with csi. However, if I try to compile even trivial scripts using
csc, I get an error:

$ cat hello.scm
    (module test (hello greet)
     (import scheme)

     (define-syntax greet
      (syntax-rules ()
       ((_ whom)
        (begin
         (display "Hello, ")
         (display whom)
         (display " !\n") ) ) ) )

     (define (hello)
      (greet "world") )  )

$ csc -s hello.scm
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libchicken.a(library-static.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `.text' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
/usr/lib/libchicken.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Error: shell command terminated with non-zero exit status 256: gcc hello.o -o
hello.so -shared -L"/usr/lib"  -Wl,-R"/usr/lib" -lchicken -lm -ldl

I tried downgrading back to Chicken 4.6.3, starting with a fresh source
directory, and building Chicken 4.7.0 again but with first doing an:

    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC"

However, this doesn't make anything work better. And indeed the -fPIC seemed to
already be picked up in the first build. I saved a build log, in case it would
be useful to look at.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

--
Jim Pryor
address@hidden