Re: [Chicken-users] Problems with csc 4.7.0 on x86_64

From: Jim Pryor
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problems with csc 4.7.0 on x86_64
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:51:21 -0400

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:56:42PM +0200, Thomas Chust wrote:
> 2011/6/13 Jim Pryor <address@hidden>:
> > Thanks Thomas and Jim, that looks right. But puzzling enough, I'm still
> > having troubles.
> > [...]
> > ==> Starting package()...
> > [...]
> > make[1]: *** [install-libs] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> > [...]
>
> this looks as if make install was still using parallel execution,
> which might be the reason for the trouble. Try adding the `export
> MAKEFLAGS="${MAKEFLAGS/-j?/}"` line to the package() function as well
> as the build() function in the PKGBUILD script.
>
> I just checked and I don't have a -j? option in my /etc/makepkg.conf
> on the system where I built my CHICKEN package without trouble, so
> this is another indication that the problem is related to that flag.

Hi Thomas, thanks a bunch. That was indeed it, and indeed afterwards, my
`csc -s hello.scm` works fine.

I'm cc'ing Vesa Kaihlavirta, who's listed as the current maintainer for
the Chicken package in Arch. Vesa, some of us on the Chicken Scheme
mailing list determined that successfully building and installing
Chicken 4.7.0 requires -j2, -j3, etc flags to be turned off in the
package() portion of the PKGBUILD script, as well as in the build()
portion. Also, the manual symlinking to the library at the end of the
current PKGBUILD can and should be deleted.

Here is my working PKGBUILD:

# Maintainer: Vesa Kaihlavirta <address@hidden>
# Contributor: <address@hidden>

pkgname=chicken
pkgver=4.7.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='A compiler for R5RS scheme, featuring handy extensions'
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url='http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/'
license=('BSD')
depends=('gcc')
source=("http://code.call-cc.org/releases/${pkgver}/chicken-${pkgver}.tar.gz";)
md5sums=('9389388fdf04c3c64de29633aae12539')

build() {
  cd "${pkgname}-${pkgver}"

  # parallel builds are not supported..
  export MAKEFLAGS="${MAKEFLAGS/-j?/}"

  # some yummy make options there. check out README in the tarball.
  make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/usr
}

package() {
  cd "${pkgname}-${pkgver}"

  export MAKEFLAGS="${MAKEFLAGS/-j?/}"
  make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/usr DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
  install -D -m644 LICENSE "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}/LICENSE"
}

--
Jim Pryor
address@hidden