Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken integration into OpenEmbedded

From: Otavio Salvador
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken integration into OpenEmbedded
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:43:53 +0000

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 06:18, Felix
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Very cool - I'm looking forward to seeing chicken in OE.

We too; we do want to extend the usage of Chicken in our embedded OS
but for it to happen proper OE integration is a requirement.

> The PROGRAM_PREFIX setting also applies to the library name, so
> PROGRAM_PREFIX=foo will install the chicken library as
> ".../lib/lib<PROGRAM_PREFIX>chicken.so[.6]".  This is intended to
> allow multiple chicken installations in the same prefix. But (as I
> assume) since you install the chicken run-time parts on the target
> system without prefix, this will not match the host system. You show
> me here that this is not totally correct when building a
> cross-chicken...

I think that TARGET_LIB_NAME shouldn't default to PROGRAM_PREFIX
mangled one. The built library will really have the prefix but this
doesn't mean I want to link against that library. In fact, when using
-target I do want to link against another library and not the cross
one.

> You can override the library name by passing "TARGET_LIB_NAME=..."
> to the make(3) invocation. This should allow you to rename the library
> that csc(1) will link with (as called by chicken-install(1)).

Awesome.

This fixed the linking issue.

The last remaining issue now is to be able to run native code during
the build process. Currently we have:

* chicken-cross: this has been installed with PROGRAM_PREFIX and it works fine;
* chicken-native and chicken-egg-*-native: the native build tools
don't have the PROGRAM_PREFIX set;

Basically this end up with the following layout:

 sysroot/var/lib/${TARGET}-chicken/6/ (chicken-cross)

and

  sysroot/var/lib/chicken/6/ (chicken-native)

Thus, the native eggs gets installed into var/lib/chicken/6/ however
chicken-cross cannot find them when trying to run native code during
the build process.

Any idea how to fix it?

Previously I think I could use CHICKEN_REPOSITORY_PATH to instruct the
lookup of eggs into another path but this seems to not be available
anymore.

Thanks in advance,

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: address@hidden http://www.ossystems.com.br