Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken integration into OpenEmbedded

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken integration into OpenEmbedded
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:26:49 +0200 (CEST)

> We too; we do want to extend the usage of Chicken in our embedded OS
> but for it to happen proper OE integration is a requirement.

Excellent.

>> The PROGRAM_PREFIX setting also applies to the library name, so
>> PROGRAM_PREFIX=foo will install the chicken library as
>> ".../lib/lib<PROGRAM_PREFIX>chicken.so[.6]".  This is intended to
>> allow multiple chicken installations in the same prefix. But (as I
>> assume) since you install the chicken run-time parts on the target
>> system without prefix, this will not match the host system. You show
>> me here that this is not totally correct when building a
>> cross-chicken...
>
> I think that TARGET_LIB_NAME shouldn't default to PROGRAM_PREFIX
> mangled one. The built library will really have the prefix but this
> doesn't mean I want to link against that library. In fact, when using
> -target I do want to link against another library and not the cross
> one.

Yes, applying PROGRAM_PREFIX is probably wrong. But you want to link
in "-target" mode with the native libchicken.so, which will be used
on the target (that is, the one native to the target system), right?

> This fixed the linking issue.

Very good.

> The last remaining issue now is to be able to run native code during
> the build process. Currently we have:
>
> * chicken-cross: this has been installed with PROGRAM_PREFIX and it works
> fine;
> * chicken-native and chicken-egg-*-native: the native build tools
> don't have the PROGRAM_PREFIX set;
>
> Basically this end up with the following layout:
>
>  sysroot/var/lib/${TARGET}-chicken/6/ (chicken-cross)
>
> and
>
>   sysroot/var/lib/chicken/6/ (chicken-native)
>
> Thus, the native eggs gets installed into var/lib/chicken/6/ however
> chicken-cross cannot find them when trying to run native code during
> the build process.
>
> Any idea how to fix it?

I'm not sure I've understood, but if you want the cross-chicken to use
native eggs (that run on the build platform, which I call "host", but
the terminology is not consistent), then you should install eggs with
the "-host" option.