[Chicken-users] EQV? and NaN

From: John Cowan
Subject: [Chicken-users] EQV? and NaN
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:02:54 -0400

I'd like to propose a minor change to the semantics of EQV?.  For good
reasons, = returns #f if either argument is NaN, and currently EQV?
defers to = if both its arguments are numeric.  However, conceptually
EQV? is about "sameness" rather than "equality", and all NaNs are
conceptually "the same".

Therefore, I think Chicken should be changed so that (eqv? +nan.0
+nan.0) => #t.  All existing Schemes that support NaN at all already do
this, with the exception of SISC, which bizarrely returns #t if *either*
argument is NaN.

--
John Cowan <address@hidden>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver